Friday 25 September 2009

What are we going to eat in Cornwall?

What are we going to eat in Cornwall?

Preparation...
So I found myself in Cornwall with a family of intolerants* intolerance, to be more specific: gluten, lactose and ‘The Wrong Type of Fibre' (no pips and seeds or skins). I'm used to cooking gluten free, but all of these combined just seemed like a nightmare.

'What are we going to eat?' I asked a friend.
'Dust' she replied. I sighed.

 The night before we left, I prepared myself the most wheat-y, raw-ish vegetable-y and dairy smothered ‘Last Supper’ I could.

Just in case.

Of course, I needn't have worried.

Dinnertime...
Over the first few days we took it in turns to cook from the selection of supermarket products purchased under the effects of extreme travelling based lethargy and the supplementary things brought from our homes; fruit and vegetables from the Hampshire Riverford Organic farm, some homemade jams, scrumped pears. Meals were, simple and tasty; sausages and mash, spanish omelette and baked potatoes, pleasing everyone eating them. Each evening meal sandwiched between my gluten and lactose free sweet treats; lemon drizzle cake, naughty peanut-butter cookies*, scones. Everything was fine! Panic over!

Rewards...
After a particularly hard slog on bikes up to the ancient dwellings of Carn Euny and it's fogou we were rewarded by some crumpet-like treats called bannocks. Stodgy and delicious, perfect after our battle with overgrown hedges, holy wells and soupy streams, slathered with homemade bramble jelly and I think, by the more gluttonous, clotted cream too!

Bedtime reading...
Struggling with an uncomfortable pillow/bed combo one night, I reached into the bookcase of fun for a nosey, finding mostly jigsaws with bits missing, sloppy literature and kids stories and one cookbook which kept me entertained for DAYS. I've got it on order now! OK, so I admit that all those simple recipes were comitted to memory years ago, but it's good to free up a bit of space for new things and a directory of basic recipes that have been thoroughly tested is a blessing. It also means I stand a good chance of being cooked things I like by other people too...

Penzance surprises and delights...
Towards the end of the stay, having finished a gluten free cream tea at The Sail Loft* on the beautiful St Michael's Mount, we ventured into Penzance for some supplies. Having been told Penzance was a 'dump' we weren't expecting much. But we were pleasantly surprised. We flitted between a well stocked whole food store boasting local vegetables and eggs (as well as homemade vegan and gluten free savouries) and a family owned grocery shop with adjoining butchers and fruiterers, continuing to the many delicatessens boasting local ciders and cheeses. We purchased a chunk of Old Smokey which turns out to tastes uncannily like smoked salmon. Weird. Anyway, all these shops were within a short walk of each other and although there was a high street where the 'usual suspects' had begun to take over, at least the main supermarket was a Co-op, with an admirable 'local' section. I pleaded with my companion,

'Why isn't Oxford like this?' 'Why can't WE have shops like this?' (foot stamps and fist shakes)

Of course, the answer is simple: in Oxford, as in so many towns and cities around the country, the 'usual suspects' HAVE taken over, raising rents so that small artisan producers have little or no chance of starting a business. Whether Penzance had managed to retain good community shops through sheer determination and good shopping habits, or merely that local produce IS the easiest and cheapest option due to the poor transportation route into Cornwall, I don't know, but I was inspired and envious all at once.

But there's still hope for Oxford...you just have to start small

There are people who provide a platform for the small food businesses in Oxford as well as promoting a sense of community, to name but one: the East Oxford Farmer's Market. It's a way into the food producer's market for people who are passionate about their craft but lack the financial backing or business experience. Having received the most gentle and polite kick-up-the-backside/invitation email from my talented friend and administrator of the market, I will hopefully take up a stall as soon as I can!

More on that and Oxford and my new (and VERY EXCITING!) job later...

*A mean joke really. Very, very tolerants would be more appropriate!
 
* I used Meridian crunchy peanut butter instead to avoid the icky/environmentally naughty palm oil found in most PB.

*The Sail Loft also boasted g/f cakes and soups as well as bread rolls priced the same as standard wheat rolls.

2 comments:

  1. yeaaaaah oh and yer on twitter you r so out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd go to pieces if I had to cook for so many different requirements - I find it difficult ebough catering for vegetarians sometimes - so I'm impressed you all coped :)

    ReplyDelete